When the real you is someone you don't know, then you sing the songs of the maniacs.Pages: 71
From her office at a mental health institute outside what appears to be Miami, a troubled young woman counsels deeply disturbed clients while coping with her own heightening concerns. These include frightening consciousness lapses, violent memories of a high school sexual relationship, a menacing stalker, and an annoyingly arousing visitor who may or may not be insane. All this on a single stormy day at a time when a new mental health disorder has become epidemic and is threatening to distort memory and identity, unmooring the validity of reality itself.
A seductive and chilling novella, and a fascinating descent into the abyss beneath the lush surfaces of contemporary American paradise.
New Year’s Resolutions List for the unnamed protagonist of Songs of the Maniacs
1. Figure out who I am.
2. Get a new job, preferably not in a psych hospital.
3. Hire a security guard service to keep me safe from stalkers.
4. Stop drinking Diet Water.
5. Stop drinking shots of Wild Turkey.
6. Sleep with Victor again. And again.
7. Write down my story, then figure out who I am.
Purchase Songs of the Maniacs